The attorneys and other professionals in our firm have been carefully chosen for their academic achievement and practical work experience in government, politics, associations, and business. Working as a team, we draw on a wide range of specialized experience, allowing us to provide our clients with comprehensive problem solving capabilities, guidance and representation seldom offered by a single firm.
Nielsen Merksamer, a nationally recognized political, election and government law firm, is looking for a research attorney in a remote, hybrid or office-based position.
- Monitor on a continuing basis changes in federal, state, local and national political laws, including campaign finance, lobby disclosure and government ethics laws
- Maintain legal summaries and other resources for attorneys, and draft explanations of changes in the law for clients and social media postings
- Research laws, regulations and advisory opinions for political law and other attorneys in order to advise clients
- Assist on certain disclosure reports, including tax filings for political and ballot measure organizations
- Maintain corporate records and, under attorney supervision, ensure compliance with state-specific corporate filing requirements
- Work collaboratively in a team of other researchers and paraprofessionals
- Must be a licensed attorney or have significant relevant experience
- Must have exceptional research and writing skills, with a strong ability to summarize complex laws and regulations into language accessible to laypersons
- Prefer experience with legislative tracking or legislative analysis
- Must have strong internet research skills and ability to use database and other software
Experience or interest in the following will be helpful: the legislative process, bill tracking and analysis, monitoring government meetings, tax filings, corporate filings, non-profit governance, campaign finance, lobby disclosure and government ethics.
This is a non-associate, non-partnership track position. The Research Attorney works as part of a team and reports to attorneys, principally out of the San Francisco Bay Area Office. Current expectation is full-time or near full-time with flexibility about in-office and at-home work. The office is hybrid, with some employees in the office regularly and others on schedules. Nielsen Merksamer offers competitive salary and great benefits. Salary depends on experience and education.
Interested applicants should email their resume (including salary requirements) and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no phone calls.