Elli Abdoli is a partner with the firm’s political law section. She advises Fortune 500 companies, non-profits, trade associations and other organizations on complying with federal, state and local lobby, campaign finance and ethics laws, including developing and implementing comprehensive nationwide compliance systems.
Ms. Abdoli specializes in “pay-to-play” laws, including SEC Rule 206(4)-5, MSRB Rule G-37, and state and local laws impacting the political activity of current and prospective government contractors. She has developed compliance processes and policies to assist companies in complying with these complex laws and regulations, including a mobile application to assist executives and employees with their reporting obligations.
Ms. Abdoli also advises corporations, nonprofit organizations, committees, and individuals on federal, state and local campaign finance and election law issues, including the initiative and referendum process. She is counsel and treasurer for a number of political action committees and ballot measure committees.
In 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020, Ms. Abdoli was selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers – Rising Stars, which recognizes no more than the top 2.5 percent of lawyers. The Rising Star category recognizes attorneys who are age 40 or less, or in the practice of law 10 years or less.
- Served as treasurer and counsel for dozens of ballot measure and independent expenditure committees.
- Developed and implemented comprehensive, multijurisdictional compliance systems for companies and nonprofit organizations to address lobby, campaign finance and ethics laws nationwide.
- Successfully advised clients through complex ethics investigations and audits.
- Advised clients on compliance with federal, state and local pay-to-play laws, including SEC Rule 206(4)-5.
- Advised clients seeking opportunities with public pension plans regarding compliance with lobby and placement agent registration requirements, as well as other ethics considerations.
- Pay-to-Play Laws: An Introduction and Overview - Corporate Political Activities 2014: Complying With Campaign Finance, Lobbying and Ethics Laws
- Practising Law Institute, “How Political Laws Impact the Financial Services Industry: From Pay-to-Play to Lobby Laws”
- Practising Law Institute, “Pay-to-Play Laws: A Compliance Challenge You Can't Ignore”
- Practising Law Institute, McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission: The Supreme Court Dramatically Changes the Political Landscape Once Again
- State Association of County Retirement Systems
- “Campaign Finance Post-Citizens United,” Corporate Counsel, 2013
- Form 700 – Statement of Economic Interests, California Association of County Treasurers and Tax Collectors,