SPW – Representative Matters
- Wilson v. County of Napa, 9 Cal. App. 5th 178 (2017), denied, 2017 Cal. LEXIS 4112 (Cal., May 24, 2017): represented Napa Valley Vintners, Napa Valley Grapegrowers, Winegrowers of Napa County, and Napa County Farm Bureau as amicus curiae in support of the County of Napa in successful defense of the County Registrar of Voters’ rejection of initiative petition that failed to comply with the California Election Code’s “full text” rule.
- Briskman v. Pope, Case No. BS163782 (Los Angeles Super. Ct. 2016): successful challenge to the ballot question prepared for Measure HH in Beverly Hills, resulting in modifications to the ballot question printed on the ballots.
- James v. Schmidt, Case No. 16CV299134 (Santa Clara Super. Ct. 2016): successfully challenged statements in ballot arguments supporting Measure C in Cupertino as false and misleading; statements ordered stricken from ballot pamphlet.
- Ordaz v. Pope, Case No. BS164364 (Los Angeles Super. Ct. 2016): successful defense of challenged statements in ballot arguments supporting Measure HH in Beverly Hills, including successful anti-SLAPP motion and award of attorneys’ fees.
- Chargers/Raiders Stadium Initiative: initiative co-author and general counsel and treasurer to successful effort to approve the development of an NFL stadium in the City of Carson, California.
- Save Olympic Valley (Squaw Valley, CA):general counsel and treasurer to successful effort to oppose the proposed incorporation, through Placer County LAFCO, of the Town of Olympic Valley.
- Garrett v. Halverson, Case No. 37-2014-00029221 (San Diego Super. Ct. 2014): successfully challenged statements in ballot arguments against Measure H in Escondido as false and misleading.
- Measure B, Redding (Turtle Bay Hotel): general counsel and treasurer to winning campaign opposing referendum against hotel development project to benefit the nonprofit Turtle Bay Exploration Park in the City of Redding.
- Camacho Title, et al. v. Concolino, et al., Case No. 34-2014-80001748 (Super. Ct. Sacramento County): representing the Sacramento Kings as the real party in interest, invalidated an initiative aimed at blocking the financing and construction of the Kings’ new downtown arena.
- Measure A, Los Gatos (Netflix HQ): initiative co-author, and general counsel and treasurer to successful campaign to allow voters to directly approve the development of a new office and research and development park previously approved by the town, resolving pending and threatened litigation.
- Measure H, Beverly Hills (Beverly Hilton): general counsel and treasurer to winning campaign opposing referendum against hotel redevelopment project; Kano v. Pope, et. al., No. 396173 (Super. Ct. Los Angeles County), successful lawsuit to strike false and misleading language from ballot arguments against project.
- Oak to Ninth Referendum Committee v. City of Oakland, Case No. RG06290487 (Super. Ct. Alameda County): successful removal from the ballot of referendum against Oakland development project due to legal defects identified in the petition.
- Measure U, Napa County: general counsel and treasurer to successful campaign to defeat land use measure with negative countywide implications.
- Pacific Racing Association v. Bucholz, et al., Case No. RG06273072 (Super. Ct. Alameda County): successful removal of initiative from the ballot due to defects during petition circulation.
- Measures K and J, Moraga: initiative co-author, general counsel and treasurer to campaign involving complex, related land use measures.
- Modesto Irrigation District, et. al. v. Debra Bowen, Case No. 34-2010-80000478 (Super. Ct. Sacramento County): successful defense of pre-election challenge to statewide ballot measure.